Associate Parliamentary Group for Animal Welfare (APGAW)
After a long Easter recess that caused the previous date to be postponed, Lord Trees participated in a much anticipated meeting of the Associate Parliamentary Group for Animal Welfare (APGAW) on Tuesday 6th May. The meeting was due to follow the publication of a report by the European Commission on whether consumers want to see stunning or slaughter method information on meat labels. Unfortunately, the release date of the report was pushed back and the meeting had to go ahead without this update. The meeting was well attended and there was a robust exchange of ideas around the question:
“What Is Humane Slaughter and How Do We Ensure Welfare Standards Are Met?”
The Panel, chaired by the Rt. Hon. Neil Parish MP, was as follows:
- Kenneth Clarke BSc, BVSc MRCVS-Veterinary Consultant (formerly oversaw Public Health and
- Robin Hargreaves BVSc MRCVS – President of the British Veterinary Association
- Russell Fielding – Retired slaughterman.
- Rizvan Khalid – Euro Quality Lambs Ltd
- Shimon Cohen – Shechita UK
- Leon Pein – Biblical Foods Limited
Outcomes are yet to follow.